Saturday 27 April 2013

What is Good? Further Wallpaper Research.

I have recently sent of for some wallpaper samples to further my research. I think this is helpful because it allows to see the pieces first hand rather than viewing them on a screen. This allows me to feel the products and look more closely at the process used on them.

This pieces use a process called 'flocking' that leaves a velvety texture on the surface, I think this is an interesting process but doesn't really appeal to the them I am going with as it is smooth rather than rough. I like the use of blue as a strong contrast to the white as it is very eye catching.



This sample gives the impression of texture with the paper remaining perfectly smooth. This has been created with the use of a subtle striped and zig zag pattern in a slightly darker shade. It is a very clever yet simple technique.



These samples focus solely on texture and colour isn't necessary. I think this is a good technique as it focuses all the attention on the feel of the product and the light and shadow is also clearer, depicting the texture a lot better. Being able to run your fingers over it and have a tactile experience is something I would like to re-create.



These two samples have used a metallic finish to highlight the main aspects of the print. The effect is quite subtle as the colours used are very similar to the base tone, which means how it catches the light depicts how strong the pattern becomes.



These two pieces have had a paint texture applied to them, rivulets have been created which gives the designs a subtle texture. I like how when you run your fingers over the paper you can feel the individual shapes. I may be able to re-create something similar using screen printing.



I chose this design as a sample because of how it depicts architecture, even if it is a very different style to the kind of building I am focussing on. An illustrative technique has been used and the building has been represented very literally which is something I want to step away from and use a more abstract attempt.



These two pieces use a very subtle spot varnish to give a slight impression of the pattern. I got one in each colour so I could evaluate how much colour can affect a design. In this case the outcomes are very different and will give a totally different look to a room.



With these samples texture had been applied digitally using digital samples. This is a very easy way to create texture fast.



I finally looked at how each sample had been labelled and there were a selection of approaches. I think the sticker aspect works best as it means you don't have to directly print onto the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment